I think the 2020s will be known 50-100 years from now as the decade where everyone was mad. Mad about pollution, mad about the boomers, mad about the millennials, mad about Trump, mad about Biden, mad about vegans, mad about paleo-lovers, mad about you, mad about me.
We’re all just mad.
I am, too, and also, I’m numb. I wonder if all the mad people are also numb.
I hope by 2030 we can all be less mad, and hopefully less numb.
Tonight is one of those nights where I wanted all the pasta, and all the white wine, and all the chocolate chip cookies, and I’m solo tonight, and so I did.
And you know what? It has been glorious.
I realize this debauchery can’t be for every night and I also wonder how much happier our world would be if we partook in this debauchery more often. If we ate the pasta and drank the wine and ate the cookies fully knowing that we “should” be eating the salads and drinking the waters and never ever ever even looking at the sugars.
If we all forgave our bellies and our thighs and our future possible diseases because you know, life is often real hard, and real disappointing, and real just plain…numbing. So if the highlight of a silly little Wednesday is lighting your favorite candle and making something terribly delicious for you and you only…. well you know what? That’s the life I want to be living.
I hope you do, too.
P.S. – this is one of those perfect pasta dishes for vegans because I guarantee you, you already have all the ingredients! If you have a Vitamix, this sauce comes together in minutes. If you do not have a Vitamix (why, dear friend???) then you need to soak the cashews for preferably an hour in very hot water.
Eat the Pasta
- 16 oz your favorite dried pasta
- 1 c cashews
- 1.5 c hot water
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp basil
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Cook the pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, put all remaining ingredients in your high-speed blender. Blend on high for 30 seconds to a minute, until creamy.
- Once the pasta is cooked, save 1 c. of pasta water, and then drain. Put the pasta back in your pot.
- Pour the cashew sauce over the pasta, stirring well. Top with additional fresh black pepper as you wish, and enjoy immediately.
- Before you put up the leftover pasta, stir in the cup of pasta water and then refrigerate. Pasta will keep for up to 3 days in your fridge.